Sunday, February 28, 2010

I fell for the slimy bastard's trick

I usually have a good nose for frauds, but one recently caught me off-guard concerning my Paypal account. I clicked on the link before I'd really thought about what they were saying. Luckily, I'd been smart enough to have the excellent anti-virus software AVG on my computer, and it warned me that the site could not be trusted.

I breathed a sigh of relief and thanked those tech wizards at AVG for possibly saving my computer AND my Paypal account from being emptied. The thing that I should've noticed (and usually check) was that the originating email address was cleverly named "automailer928702385738@ppl.com" (instead of ...paypal.com) and the subject line was even more clever, stating "personalpaypalaccout26835@paypal.com," which of course caught my eye instead of the originating email address.

I wish we had an objective government that would go after these attempted fraudsters instead of the people putting drugs into their own bodies.

Here's the slimy bastard's email:

_____________________
Dear PayPal customer,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your personal account may have been accessed from an unauthorized computer. This may be due to changes in your IP address or location. Protecting the security of your account and of the PayPal network is our primary concern.

We are asking you to immediately login and update your personal account information , and check you account profile to make sure no changes have been made.

Please click the following link, to verify your account activity:

http://www.paypal.com/Secure-Account-Update/Verify-Identity-Sequence/step01.php

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintaining the integrity of the entire PayPal system. Please login as soon as possible.

Thank you,
PayPal Security Advisor.

No comments: